The Marc de Montalembert Foundation gives out every year :
- a grant to enable a person under 30 years of age in the year of the award, from a Mediterranean country, to implement an original project intercultural by nature ; this project must correspond to his/her vocational choices ;
- a prize, in association with the Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art in Paris, to a scholar from a Mediterranean country for a research on the history of arts in the region.
Through its grant and its prize the Foundation provides support to projects which further the knowledge of the cultures of the Mediterranean Region and develop a sense of their diversity and their richness. By way of example, grants have been given in the following fields: writing, architecture, singing, photography, music, ethnography, art history.
The Marc de Montalembert grant
The grant is awarded to projects which focus on discovering other Mediterranean cultures and getting a sense of their richness and diversity. Candidates are asked to propose a study project in the cultural field of their choice. They must already have given proof of the seriousness their vocational choice at whatever academic or professional training level s/he happens to be at.
The crowning point of the project will be an original account - written or expressed in any publishable and distributable form - of the knowledge and experience acquired during the journey. To make this work possible, the Foundation, if the beneficiary so desires, will make available lodging in its seat at Rhodes for a period of not more than six months.
The call for application is published on October, 1 of every year. Those interested to apply shall request an application form before December, 15. The full application shall be dispatched by December 31, latest. The winner of the grant is then invited to come and receive his grant on April 25, the day of the Foundation's annual opening in Rhodes. The beneficiary will be required to present the product of his project on April 25 of the next year. Should the quality of the beneficiary's account of his experience warrant it, the Foundation could envisage assisting in its publication.
The Marc de Montalembert Prize
On the other hand, from 2010 onward, a Marc de Montalembert prize is awarded in association with the Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art (INHA), in Paris, to a young scholar from the Mediterranean region. The aim is to encourage with the support of INHA the development of a research contributing to a better knowledge of arts and cultures in the Mediterranean area. The winner of the prize if he/she wishes can stay in residence at the Foundation’s seat in Rhodes. The amount of the prize is 8000 euro.
The call for applications to the 2014 Marc de Montalembert Prize can be seen on the website of INHA and the deadline for the dispatch of applications is November 1, 2013.
- Call for applications for the Prix Marc de Montalembert 2014
- Annual opening of the Foundation in Rhodes on the day of Saint Marc: presentation of the 2013 Marc de Montalembert grant to Pandora Dourmisi, Greece.
- The 2013 Marc de Montalembert grant was awarded to Pandora Dourmisi, Greece, for her project Derelict earthen architecture in the west Balkan region.
- The 2013 Prix Marc de Montalembert was presented to Silvia Armando, art historian from Italy for her research Art and archeology in the medieval Mediterranean world through the correspondence and photographic archives of Ugo Monneret de Villard.
- The Prix Marc de Montalembert 2013 is awarded to Silvia Armando, art historian, for her research on Ugo Monneret de Villars, a XXth century specialist of islam art and history.
- Hosting the workshop on “the art of participatory leadership” organized by Systemic Innovation Zone Hellas.