The Garden in Rhodes
“Marc’s garden” is a special garden, a garden of memory and hope, a symbol of renaissance. Tucked away between the walls of the old town of Rhodes, the garden restored by the Foundation extends from the Byzantine chapel of St Mark to the Monastery of St George. Early sources indicate that the garden already existed in the 13th century and through the epoch of the Knights as testified by Caoursin’s miniatures of 1484 and through the Ottoman period.
Today’s garden draws its inspiration from byzantine, mediaeval and Ottoman gardens with geometrical forms, aromatic plants, and the symbolic presence of water. Two tall cypresses stand like candelabra beside the fountain; the presence of fine white-berried myrtles besides the chapel of St Mark bears witness to the age-old sacred nature of the site.